Waheed Rafiq is not online. Last active: 11/09/2011 10:43:43 Waheed Rafiq

Not Ranked
Joined on 21/03/2006
Birmingham
Posts 21
Age limit to become a commercial pilot.
Reply Quote

Hi guy’s

Just need some advice, I am currently studying PPL and have just completed exercise 7. Once I have completed PPL what do I need to do next in order to become a commercial pilot and what is the minimum age limit to work in a commercial airline.

David is not online. Last active: 21/02/2007 12:30:25 David

Not Ranked
Joined on 26/07/2006
Suffolk
Posts 9
Re: Age limit to become a commercial pilot.
Reply Quote

Hi

To get a job as a first officer on an airline you will need to get a CPL/IR (sometimes called a frozen ATPL).

You will need to do lots of flying to build up your hours, due to the hours requirements stated below for starting the CPL (many schools offer hours building courses or discounts for block bookings). You will also need to complete the ATPL theory see www.bristol.gs  for more info and then do the CPL, multi engine course and an IR see www.flysfc.com for more on the actual courses.

To start the CPL you have to have the following.

Hold a PPL (A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1
Completed 5 hours night flight time
Completed 150 hours total flight time (200 hours is required for licence issue, 100 must be P1)
Completed 20 hours cross-country flight time as pilot-in-command
The cross-country flight time must include a qualifying 540 km cross-country flight
Hold a valid JAR first class medical certificate
Passed a course of theoretical instruction as set out in the JAR-FCL
The minimum age for issue of a CPL licence is 18.

To do the multi engine Instrument Rating you need the following.

70 hours as pilot-in-command
50 hours PIC cross-country flight time
Hold a valid JAR first class medical certificate
Passed a course of theoretical instruction as set out in the JAR-FCL
Demonstrated use of English language as set out in the JAR-FCL

It will cost in the region of 40 - 60 grand to get from where you are now to first officer level depending on where you train.

As for age, most airlines take low hours first officers between the ages of 20 - 30 but the actual ages vary company to company, best to look at the airlines websites to get a better idea, most airlines also require you to have at least 2 A-Levels.

Hope that helps

DC

McGoo is not online. Last active: 28/06/2009 15:50:59 McGoo

Not Ranked
Joined on 15/11/2005
Posts 225
Reply Quote
 David wrote:

It will cost in the region of 40 - 60 grand to get from where you are now to first officer level depending on where you train.

Shop around, it is possible to do it a lot cheaper than that!

most airlines also require you to have at least 2 A-Levels.

There are no academic qualifications required to be an airline pilot, only airlines that offer some sort of sponsorship will ask for qualifications.

Waheed Rafiq is not online. Last active: 11/09/2011 10:43:43 Waheed Rafiq

Not Ranked
Joined on 21/03/2006
Birmingham
Posts 21
Reply Quote
For both of you first of all many thanks for replying back to my tread and thanks for giving me the links to bristol.gs and SFC site.

My god 40 to 60 K is a lot of cash. The problem would be for me that i am 29 years old and I am thinking of a career move, would my  49 hours when I complete my PPL , count towards  ATPL on top of what i might do when i start ATPL course.

with regards

Waheed Rafiq

David is not online. Last active: 21/02/2007 12:30:25 David

Not Ranked
Joined on 26/07/2006
Suffolk
Posts 9
Reply Quote

Hi

Yea it is a lot, shop around though, the price varies a lot depending on where you train, both around the UK and abroad, and many places offer very good prices for hours builders when you do large block hours bookings (especially abroad). yes the hours you have from your PPL will count towards the hours requirement for starting the commercial training.

DC

Gavin Mayo is not online. Last active: 20/05/2008 23:25:22 Gavin Mayo

Not Ranked
Joined on 21/06/2005
Posts 10
Reply Quote

Hi,

My Skills test examiner didn't start to learn to fly until he was 39. He got his first FO job working for BA connect at the age of 43!

It's not so much about age, but funds availble to pay for the training as once you get a Frozen ATPL & Type rating, anyone should be employable.

Gav. 

Mario Bras is not online. Last active: 21/01/2007 12:05:09 Mario Bras

Not Ranked
Joined on 05/01/2007
Posts 1
Reply Quote

Hi Gavin,

I'm Mario, at the age of 36 but still with a "dream" to be a commercial pilot... I'm searching around several "flight academies" in The Netherlands (were I live and work) but their answer usually is the same: "Sorry, you're too old" even few minuts ago by the phone... :-(    ...yes...

Is really nice that you share with us about your test examiner in yr previous email! A few years ago when flying in a "service trip" to Germany o/b a Learjet 45, I met a First-Officer that had only 850 flying hours but he look to me more then 40's. He saw my "passion" about, heard me why I could not make it before when I was younger. The basic reason was that before my "eyes laser operation" I had miophie and needed glasses with -6.75 correction and now I've only +0,5 (still use glasses but only to rest my eyes). So, that "lost dream" came back. I still remember what that nice pilot told me about this: "Mario, never gave up from your dreams, I achieve mine at 39's old and I'm flying every day!").

I don't have the knowledge where to go and find more about this "age problem" and who can help me in terms of advice, so here am I kindly asking you for your tips specially related with the fact that I leave and work in K.L.M. in the Netherlands.

Many thx for all your info sharing,

Mario

Zambezi is not online. Last active: 04/10/2007 01:45:51 Zambezi

Not Ranked
Joined on 04/10/2007
Posts 1
Reply Quote

Hi Mario, I'm 33 and also interested in a career change into piloting...if possible! However, I have the same concern as you about about age and fear that I'll be too old by the time I have sufficient hours to work for an airline.

Have you taken any further action in pursuing this "dream"?

Thanks!

Paolo

Oggy is not online. Last active: 11/10/2007 08:49:18 Oggy

Not Ranked
Joined on 10/06/2006
UK
Posts 29
Reply Quote
hey
  33 isn't bad, we have a few guys on the course im currently studying.. who are early 30's.
Most plan to do Agricultral flying or Parachute dropping, just general Aviation jobs.  
          You could still join the airlines*... Some of the guys go on to fly for Eagle Air. Flying Beech 1900Ds.

baldo9 is not online. Last active: 15/11/2007 03:23:34 baldo9

Not Ranked
Joined on 15/11/2007
Posts 1
Reply Quote
Lucky i found this forum. I'm also already 33 and seriously looking into enrolling at a flight school, in fact i'm to have my medical next month (so no fish n chips for a while). I was having second thoughts because of my age, but from what i've read so far....looks like i've got nothing to worry about. Just a question though....what are the job prospects like for a guy my age? Is there a chance for me of being a captain for a major airline? cheers.
Richard Hartshorne is not online. Last active: 27/08/2014 22:43:09 Richard Hartshorne

Not Ranked
Joined on 26/03/2005
Posts 24
Reply Quote
Hi Guys I took this off a Pilot forum what a 40 yr old guy wrote, this should help

PPL at Welshpool in August 1999 (4 week intense course)
Finished all my training October 2005
PPL Welshpool
Hour building at Barton in a shared Cessna 150
ATPL correspondence course at Bristol Ground School
CPL JD Aviation at Manchester Airport
IR at Ravenair at Liverpool Airport
MCC at The Flight Centre Wolverhampton
Cost of training about £45,000
No A or O levels. Average CSE's
3 interview and sim assessments in 15 months
2 Jet job offers in the space of 4 weeks in January 2007
Now RHS 737 for a charter out of Manchester
39 years old and 440 hour when I started
Type rating done at CTC over 2 months
Just finished line training and just completed line check
Intend being here until I retire

Whilst modular training, I was an aircraft refueller at Manchester for 9 years.
This is were I got the idea to become a Commercial Pilot

Prior to that, I was a long distance lorry driver for 10 years. I drove for Eddie Stobarts for 3 years and still have the uniform. I also drove hazardous chemical waste tankers for 6 years, quiet a dangerous job carrying some real nasty gear all over the UK for treatment or disposal. Someone had to do it.

Peoples perception of Lorry Drivers and of Commercial Pilots are quite different. I am still the same person.

A bit of advice to all wannabe's

Don't look too far ahead in what training you have left to do.

This will make you disheartened. Concentrate on the particular bit of training you are currently doing. Take one step at a time.

There is always someone in their training wishing they were in your position.
i.e., when you have completed your PPL, there will be someone you know who has just started their PPL training wishing they were in your shoes.

When you have hour built, their is always someone wishing they had the hours you have

When you have passed your 14 ATPL exams, there is always someone started that correspondence course wishing they were in your shoes.

This is the same with regards all the training required to become a Commercial Pilot.

So when you feel a bit down about how long it takes, remember, there is always someone behind you wishing they were in your shoes.

Believe in yourself and try to be positive and network, network and network.

Make sure your CV is very well prepared and laid out professionally. There are a couple of people who use pprune who help with this service. They also do interview preparation courses. Pilot Pete (Peter Smith) and Penny Austin are 2 that spring to mind.

If you fail an interview or sim assessment, learn from it and take that to your next interview and assessment.

Good luck everyone.

Regards Richie

kellynormandia is not online. Last active: 11/01/2008 00:51:49 kellynormandia

Not Ranked
Joined on 11/01/2008
Posts 2
Reply Quote
Well, ... I have just returned from a contract in China which I got from Aviators Trading.

I am not sure if I am able to help anyone here...but they get the jobs for you and currently, I was informed that they have positions for 40 low houred pilots... even if they are above 35... simply a contract to get your hours... but you need to pay your type rating. As far as I know, you get the contract with the employer first and have to make your type rating before the contract is valid.

Well, simply give it a try...you don´t pay until you got the employment contract...

As for my side... I was lucky...they got me away pretty fast... but I had more than 900 hrs TT and I am 31.

good luck!

Rajat is not online. Last active: 13/01/2009 08:15:18 Rajat

Not Ranked
Joined on 29/12/2008
Posts 1
Reply Quote
Hi,

I too am one of those who had long cherished the desire to be a pilot but couldn't dare to take the plunge (either because of lack of money or lack of conviction).

Am 30 these days and am contemplating a career change, the ongoing recession is doing its bit to steer me to that direction.

Am planning to join a flying school here in India, but with the general gloom and dismal scenario gripping the economy, i'm not too sure how difficult it'd be for me to get a job. Leading airlines like Jet and Kingfisher have pruned their workforce, its unlikely to improve in the next 6 months.

I'll anyways get enrolled as i think i cant delay this decision any longer; however it'd be a great help if someone could advice me on the difficulty one encounters in getting a job + the kind of salary i can expect to draw (as an instructor for ex)? Hopefully i should finish the course and be ready to float my CV by end of 2009.

Cheers,
Rajat
Morbz is not online. Last active: 09/07/2010 07:01:23 Morbz

Not Ranked
Joined on 06/02/2007
UK
Posts 263
Reply Quote

Hi there

In terms of ages and joing airlines, it isnt really a problem unless you are well over the age of 40, and even then if you have a type rating, fATPL and a good personality an airline cannot turn a blind eye to you as you meet the spec they want, and dismissing you because of age isn't professional, nor is it legal etc etc.  Yes a 24 year old looks more attractive in terms of long term contracts and the ability to become a very good pilot given a career of flying within the company, but 'at the end of the day' a pilot is a pilot, as long as you can do the job well and you get on with people you can still fly the big jets and earn money for it.

As for the argument about the economy there isnt a magic ball we can use and there are no magic words anyone can say that will determine whether or not you will go ahead with training.  HOWEVER, being in the position myself about to start integrated training and having made one huge decision to live in NZ for a while, I have an optimistic view.  Firstly the aviation industry is massivley cyclic, meaning for example, the industry slows right down one minute and booms the next.  Take a look at 9/11, a year later after airlines went bust things picked up again.  Secondly if you train now chances are you will come out in an upturn- look at all those who thought it was clever to train when things were booming and are graduating now; you get the point.  In my opinion, and in the opinion of just about every aviation professional I have had the pleasure to speak to seems to think now is the best time, but thats one to be argued by someone more pessemistic.

For me (oops I've focussed things back on me again), I will graduate with my ATPLf and AQC complete with the possibility of the type rating completed as well in around 2010.  This magic date seems to be the general predicted date that things will  perk up, and to put the cherry on the top, I will aim to graduate a few months before the summer recruitment drives increasing chances.  When you put things in prospective it doesnt seem too bad does it? Yes you have to also think what if the economy is still in the crapper, but if you think like that- especially the older ones in here you will never l ive the dream or achieve anything you desire.  In simple if you are stuck in 2 minds about training now, just ask youself, do you have a backup plan?  Have you got a way of paying any debt if you cannot get a job- presuming you have taken out a loan of course in the first place, if not, have you got a backup plan or a source of finance to help keep yourself current if you cannot get in with an airline?

Anyway, for the older ones asking the question does age really matter or is it too late, I guess I cant give you a definate answer because I dont recruit pilots, but what I do know is if you want something bad enough you will achieve it, and if you show you have passion, personality and the ability, you will succeed!  I say go for it and I wish you the best of luck if you do, the only thing to bear in mind is that the older you get, the more likely you are to lose a class 1.  Thats the only problem with flying, everything you put into it, all that hard work and hours of training can be wasted should you lose your medical.

Morbz

Ahmed is not online. Last active: 22/01/2009 23:18:24 Ahmed

Not Ranked
Joined on 22/01/2009
Posts 1
Reply Quote

hello every body

i need help plz to know something

i am 29 years old i want to be pilot i know the steps and every thing , but lots of pilot friends said that it is too late for me to start and there is no air line will take me once i get my CPL in age of  30 , is it tru ? what do u recommend to me shall i give up ,or it is never too late ?

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 >